czech inspiration- miroslav sasek

2 May 2010

Miroslav Sasek was born in 1916 in Prague and trained as an architect, because his parents didn't approve of him becoming a painter. In 1945 , after the Communist Party came to power, he emigrated and lived in France and Germany. He worked for Radio Free Europe, before he started his first book This is Paris, published in 1958.
<span class=
<span class=
<span class=
<span class=<span class=<span class=
The series of books continued with London, Rome, New York, Edinburgh, Munich, Venice, San Francisco, Israel, Cape Canaveral, Ireland, Hong Kong, Greece, Texas, Australia....
I love the bright colours and stylized drawings, they make me really happy.
Sasek books are very collectible now and in last couple of years a lot of them has been reprinted. You can buy them at Amazon and read more about his life and work here.
I was unaware of him for very long time, which is surprising as we are both Czech but sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees. I have to tell my mum about him as well, especially my mum's maiden name was the same as his and she shares her first name Vera with his sister.
I believe some of his drawings would be wonderful posters for kids rooms. Or tea towels? cushions? what do you think?
Have a great day!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I so agree! These are wonderful! I've seen his books around (reprints) but did not know about him and his life--thank you! I would love a poster of any one of his drawings, I think--or fabric would be lovely....
    xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the "this is edinburg" is my favorite. thanks so much for sharing!

    xo Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love his books we have quite a few, I keep them away from the boys though, I think they are too beautiful muddy hands!!
    Have a great day
    Engracia
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the New York book - a pressie from me to my son when I had a weekend away In NY a few years back. Great book. I'd like to get a few more to add to the collection. Classics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These books are so great. I look at them almost every time I come across one. I can't wait to buy one for someone.

    ReplyDelete

A FEW THINGS FROM MY LIFE All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger